The true measure of a nonprofit's effectiveness is how well it performs its mission. Sarah’s Circle's impact, the outcomes of our work to serve and achieve our mission, include these recent major accomplishments:
• A commitment to continually increase the number of women transitioned from homelessness to permanent housing. Despite dramatic reductions in affordable housing available in the community, Sarah’s Circle helped place 617 women into permanent housing since 2012.
• Creation of the Make It Home Fund. Make It Home provides one-time, immediate financial assistance up to $500 per woman needed to either prevent homelessness, or help a woman quickly move from homelessness to permanent housing. This program prevents nominal costs, such as a security deposit or move-in fee, from acting as a final barrier to permanent housing. This program accounted for 88% of the women who were housed in 2017. The cost needed to Make it Home is on average only $323.
• Expansion of our Art Therapy program, a proven intervention for women dealing with past trauma that supports housing stability.
• Meeting the basic human needs of women coming to us for help. Last year we served over 62,000 meals.
• Building operating reserves, both for long term use and current operations to ensure financial stability.
Creating New Housing for Women
There is a severe shortage of affordable housing in Chicago. In order to better serve our clients and end homelessness for women, Sarah’s Circle has begun the process of developing a new building that will include 38 units of permanent housing for women with a history of homelessness. This building is located at 4654 N. Sheridan Rd, two block south of our facility at 4838 N. Sheridan Rd. Read the full details of our new building development on this page.
1 in 4
Leading the Midwest 1 in 4 Initiative is a significant and necessary undertaking for Sarah’s Circle. In order to effectively end homelessness for women, there must be more targeted research to understand the specific causes of homelessness and barriers to housing that adult, unaccompanied women face. Although we meet the immediate needs of clients, we must stay focused on permanent solutions to keeping women housed. Please see our 1 in 4 page for more information.
Please see our mission page for more information on why we specialize in serving women in need.